Monday 11 April 2011

The Skywalk

Matty, Dan and I went to the Skywalk in Sydney last weekend. It's the highest point in Sydney (880ft), that's twice the height of the Harbor Bridge and the same height as the Eiffel Tower. The pictures are absolutely unreal from this one, but I can't take credit for all of them as we weren't aloud to bring cameras (or any loose objects for that matter because you'd kill someone if you dropped them) up to the top. We purchased the ones from above but I got a few from the observation deck.

Arriving at the Sky Tower. The Skywalk is what we went on, which is located on the top of this building. It actually has a bar/restaurant inside too but they wouldn't allow you to the bar if you planned on doing the walk after. They actually breathalize you before you get a pass to go up. I guess they have some liability reasons for not letting drunk people wonder around on an 880ft building...


The observation deck

These are the pictures I got from the observation deck (Harbor Bridge to left, Opera House between the buildings)
More of the Harbor. That's North Sydney across, Fort Denison is dead center of the water (more details on that later) and Manly is straight ahead along the horizon (Russell Crowe just bought a $10 million home there and they've got Ben and Jerry's Free Cone Day tomorrow! Extremely excited for a taste of home).




 Working my way around the observation deck. Coogee (where I live) is actually straight ahead along the horizon.


This is looking back towards the city, with the Harbor at my back. Hyde Park (the equivalent to Sydney's Central Park) is located to the bottom left of this picture.

Just a look of how high it was from the observation deck. You think you could walk up to these windows mom?

Just the highest mailbox in the world. Thought this was pretty cool.

And we start to make our way out to the top. This is where we had to buy the pictures from the tower if we wanted them. Totally worth it though as you'll find out because they are absolutely amazing. 

First I'll show you some group photos. We got to hang out up here for about 40 minutes and get told a little bit about Sydney and just take in the views. We also got to where these sweet jumpsuits haha! You can see we were all strapped to the silver bar along the bottom of the picture, just to make sure there were no accidents...

Matty, Dan and I. And of course I had to ask if anyone has base jumped from this thing. Apparently one person has when it was first built in I think 1985... He got dropped off by Helicopter on the top and then leaped from there. Hasn't been done again since. Maybe I'll have to be the next...

We also had the most fun in our jumpsuits during our photo op


Dont let Dan fool you, he pushed off of Matty and my shoulders on this one



Definitely had the most fun. But now I'll just show you some of the amazing shots we got from them. Some are at night and sunrise and sunset too. Wish I could get up there to see some of those. 




In the fog. One of my favorites.

Sunset in the west overlooking Darling Harbour

Another cool one of the sunset



A couple from New Years. Sydney is apparently the place to be for the New Year celebration as they're the first place to enter the New Year. There's a restaurant on the small Island called Fort Denison. It used to be a prison, then a fortress during WWII. It used to have 3 cannons on it to protect the Harbor, but fortunately were never put to use as they later found out if all three were to be fired the fort would have sunk. Regardless, the now restaurant of Ford Denison costs $1,000 just to get on, then you have the bill that can only cost god knows what.



The night shots are definitely my favorites. This is where we get to go hang out on the weekends. Was actually hanging out on that bridge you see crossing this Harbor at one point this past Saturday.



And now I'll leave you with my favorite of the whole day like I usually do. The group that was on tour giving their best effort to jump in unison. I don't think Dan was quite, ready but I killed it haha.


2 comments:

  1. That definitely looks like it was soooo much fun! And no Mom would NOT have walked up to the edge of the glass!!! haha... That's kinda how the Eiffel tower is at the top too!!

    I definitely also thought you had bungee jumped off it with those suits on! haha

    Great pics! MISS YOU XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Michael those pictures are amazing. My favorite pictures are of you because you are having such a great time. By the way I would of walked right over to those windows! Just kidding I would of been a nervous wreck. Keep up with the pictures you are doing a great job. Miss you lots, Love Mom

    ReplyDelete