Wednesday 15 June 2011

Sydney Fish Market

With my next post I'm taking you to the Sydney Fish Market. I'd been wanting to get down there since we first arrived and was one of the things I had on my to-do list since before leaving the states. It's actually the second biggest fish market (next to China) and despite not getting myself up at 5 in the morning to see the fish auction and all the previous days catch brought in, it was still pretty awesome to go down and see.
 Walking into the the wharf (fish market on the right, harbor on the left).
 Here is one of the many stores that sells all the fresh seafood of Sydney. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something you liked (that is if you like seafood I guess) as they have anything from rainbow trout, to salmon, lobster, clams, squid, shark, octopus, and an array of things I couldn't even tell you what they were.
 More fish! You could get fillets, whole fish, live crab, sashimi (raw edible cuts, or sushi you cold call it), really an endless amount of options. And of course it's all much cheaper than buying from our local supermarket, it's just too bad this is about a 40 minute bus ride away from home...
 The docks where the action all starts. Really kind of kicking myself that I didn't get to see the auction because I'm sure it's really neat, but you have to take a $20 tour as well otherwise you get a garbage view from a tiny window in a cafe. 
 This guy was going to work on what I believe is a huge yellow-fin tuna. Everything is so fresh and delicious.
And so here I'll leave you with this beautiful fellow haha. I just thought it looked kind of cool and he's actually way bigger than he appears. I guess I should've held my hand up to him or something. I ended up getting a fillet of ocean trout and a fillet of marlin, figured I should try a couple fish that I never had before or wouldn't often get the opportunity for at home and am I glad I made that decision. The ocean trout tasted fairly similar to salmon, which I was happy about because it's my favorite fish, and the marlin was a lot different but tasted great. I'm sure the freshness makes a huge difference and I would enjoy any of the fish, but they are both types of fish I definitely wouldn't hesitate to try again. 
Hope you're all enjoying some of my final adventures. It's pretty sad coming down to my final few blogs knowing this is the end, but I hope you've enjoyed and I've got a couple of the best for last with Vivid Sydney, Melbourne and Thailand coming up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment